Thursday, January 12, 2012

Samurai Nights/Samurai Days by Neale Sourna

Samurai Nights
by Neale Sourna

Kyoto, Japan; 1600s

We were encamped within in sight of our lord's favored family temple. His entire core retinue was in attendance, to be of service to his every noble whim. He is a good lord, a great lord, who is extremely clever and most brave, and exceedingly handsome.

As one of the many ladies of his high court, it is a joy and a thing of great hidden tears to merely glance upon him, even at a distance, as I kneel when he passes and I bow in fullest respect to such a superior being.

But, it is rumored that his heartbeats are set upon the noble Lady Ko, a wealthy cousin of our emperor with many liege knights at her call. She is a widow, and mature, but highly valued for her fine lineage, wealth, and lasting beauty.

I am but a courtier's daughter, fair at the athletic defensive skills of katana, bow, and court wit. I'd more than willingly give my life in preservation of my lord's; and yet, he will never look upon me as he does the refined and delicate Lady Ko, who supped and laughed with him, as I continued my unfortunate display and regrettable knack for breaking my Koto strings.

If I could but....http://www.romantic4ever.com/romantic-fiction/080116-samurai.html


Samurai Days

I was encamped within sight of my favorite family temple. My entire core retinue was in attendance. I didn't need them all, but it was the most certain way to have HER there, and have no one discern the full interest and possible plans I had for her.

She's clever in fierce conversation, brave in battle, and exceedingly beautiful every moment, and yet has a blushing innocence beneath her sharp wit that intrigues me to no end. It has been pointed out that she would make a most exceptional concubine. It is even a consideration her parents clearly entertain, having singled out her best assets to me, on more than one occasion.

I could make a high match of matrimony for her. I've had several underlords, and even a rival prince or two, beg a blood alliance, sealed by her graceful hand.

I have said, "No," and I will always say, "No."

My own betrothal prospects have been argued and betted upon for some time. My ally, Lady Ko, is the frontrunner, and a marriage alliance with that wealthy, imperial cousin would prove advantageous; and she is a woman in whom I have attraction.

But lovely Ko is not HER, who I could not keep my gaze from, at my banquet for Ko, not while she was so well presented in her finest robes and brightest smiles. She sings and plays the Koto well, although she believes she does not, and even played well, despite suddenly broken strings, and did a brave thing of humor to cover her playing errors, which most women would have been far too mortified to have accomplished.

SHE repeatedly distracted me from my necessary duties with Ko, and so I had her father send her from table, for....http://www.romantic4ever.com/romantic-fiction/080116-samurai.html

No comments: