This week, Entertainment Weekly’s Anthony Breznican tweeted out a photo of one of Matthew Weiner’s production notes for Mad Men titled “Wish List: Things We Want to Deal With Before the Series Ends.” The list includes the question, “Sal – what happened to him?”—referring, of course, to Salvatore Romano, the closeted gay Art Director at Sterling Cooper who was fired in season three when he rejected the advances of Lucky Strike’s Lee Garner Jr.
His lack of a resolution was even more noticeable because a lot of people binge-watched Mad Men. While writers on shows in the past could make characters disappear season-to-season, relying on audiences forgetting minor characters over the summer months—when a whopping 62.3 million people worldwide subscribe to Netflix—means audiences have no problem remembering their favorite characters and holding writers to task for getting rid of them.
In honor of Sal, here are some other characters that vanished forever off of shows without any satisfying resolution. Writers thought we wouldn’t notice? They didn’t anticipate Netflix and the nitpicky/obsessive zeal of rabid fans who won’t—ever—let it go.
1. Mandy Hampton on The West Wing (Moira Kelly)
2. Valery on The Sopranos (Vitali Baganov)
3. Dr. Erica Hahn on Grey’s Anatomy (Brooke Smith)
4. Betsy Putch on The Mindy Project (Zoe Jarman)
5. Stuart Minkus on Boy Meets World (Lee Norris)
6. Cousin Oliver on The Brady Bunch (Robbie Rist)
7. Charlie on Girls (Christopher Abbott)