Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Laurell K Hamilton: Author answers on character writing. Dead Ice: Rafael

http://www.laurellkhamilton.org/2015/05/dead-ice-rafael/

Third in the series leading up to Dead Ice, I almost made it Anita, but in the end I decided we’d go with Rafael, the Rat King. 

 
Raphael, drawn by Bret Booth
 

Question: When are we going to see Rafael on stage more in the books?

Answer: June 9, 2015 in Dead Ice!
 

Secrets to Share: Once I decided to have wererats in the first Anita Blake novel, Guilty Pleasures, Rafael just sort of appeared on paper.  I don’t remember making notes, or trying to create him.  He just walked on stage.  He was handsome, Hispanic, a great leader doing his best under difficult circumstances to protect his people.
 

Question: When are we going to learn more about how Rafael runs the wererats?

Answer: See above, in Dead Ice.
 

Secrets to Share:  Rafael told me how he was running his group.  I had to work at figuring out how various other shapeshifter groups were organized, but not the wererats.  Rafael was even a good leader in my subconscious.  The only thing that I had to “invent” was the crown-shaped brand on his arm as the mark of kingship.  That I worked at, but for the rest he’s always been very easy to write.
 

Question: Are Rafael and Anita a thing/an item?

Answer: If you mean have they had sex together, then yes.

Secrets to Share: No one ever asks if Anita is dating Rafael, they don’t ask if they’re lovers, because that can just imply sex and you all saw them have sex on stage, so that’s a given. But lover can also imply a more emotional involvement, and I don’t think we’re expecting that between them.  


So, what are Anita and Rafael to each other? Both have risked their safety, even their lives, to help each other.  

They are allies, and have become friends.  He is honored and powerful food for Anita’s arduer.  In Dead Ice we learn more details than ever before about how they work that. 

Sneak Peek from Dead Ice:

His mouth was buried tight against Rafael, his throat working convulsively as he swallowed.  I had a moment to think he was drinking blood from the wound, because that was what it meant when I saw Jean-Claude or Asher swallow like that.

No comments: